Ship Illawarra Presentation Binoculars

Ship Illawarra Binoculars 1903

Ship Illawarra Presentation Binoculars

£120.00

In stock
0 out of 5

£120.00

Ship Illawarra  Presentation Binoculars 1903

Availability: In stock
View cart

Description

Ship Illawarra Presentation Binoculars  1903 Ambulance prize Binoculars in leather case, Presented by the Marquis of Graham , ship ILLAWARRA 1903.

Bino’s made by Whyte  Thomson & Co, Glasgow.

Nice brass plaque to outer case top.

Brass cased bino’s, with sun shields, fully working and with good clear lenses,

Case is leather with red felt lining , main shoulder strap missing , retaining lid strap has probably been replaced as looks slightly different colour.outer casae is also worn due to age.

Binoculars are worn but no dents.

Ship Illawarra Presentation Binoculars

WHYTE, THOMSON, & Co., Nautical Instrument Makers and Compass Adjusters, 144, Broomielaw. Works:—Harmony Row, Govan, Glasgow.

In a city in which the shipping and shipbuilding interests are of such paramount importance, it will readily be conceded that the business of the compass adjuster, binnacle constructor, and general nautical instrument maker is one the importance and value of which cannot easily be over-estimated nor surpassed. Foremost, both in respect of antiquity of establishment and magnitude of business connection, among the many Scotch houses similarly engaged must be ranked the well-known firm of Messrs. Whyte, Thomson, and Co., of Broomielaw, Glasgow, and Neptune Works, Harmony Row, Govan.

This firm dates back in its foundation to the latter part of the last, or beginning of the present, century. The business was established originally in Greenock by David Heron, grandfather of the present Mr. Whyte, and removed, in the year 1827, to Glasgow, which about that period began to give faint indications of the magnificent rank she was destined to assume among the cities of the world. Owing to the admirable administration and conduct of Messrs. Whyte, Thomson, and Co’s. business, a very marked development has constantly been taking place, and at the present day there is probably not one corner of the civilized globe — where nautical matters are understood — that cannot claim acquaintance with the name of the great Glasgow firm under review. The premises in Broomielaw comprise a splendidly spacious warehouse heavily stocked with all descriptions of nautical instruments, including ships compasses in great variety, binnacles, adjusting instruments, palinuruses, verifiers, log glasses, fog horns, etc., etc. The premises are elegantly appointed in mahogany and ebony-gold background, the whole presenting a most interesting and attractive appearance.

Ilawarra

An iron full-rigged ship built in 1881 by Dobie & Co., Glasgow. Dimensions: 269’1″×40’6″×24’0″ and tonnage: 1963 GRT, 1887 NRT, 1787 tons under deck and 3500 DWT.

1881 October
Launched at the shipyard of Dobie & Co., Glasgow, for Devitt & Moore, London. Assigned the official British Reg. No. 85076 and signal WFKT. Employed in the Australian passenger trade.
1881-1887
In command of Captain D.B. Carvosso late of the same owner’s fullrigged ship Hawkesbury.
1885 December 7 – March 21
Sailed from Sydney to London in 104 days.
1887-1888
In command of Captain W.W. Smith.
1887 January 13 – April 22
Sailed from Sydney to London in 97 days.
1887 December 5 – March 8
Sailed from Sydney to London in 94 days.
1888-1899
In command of Captain D.B. Carvosso who afterwards took command of the same owner’s fullrigged ship Derwent.
1889 December – April 5
Sailed from Sydney to London in 103 days.
1899
Captain J.H. Barrett, late of the same owner’s fullrigged ship Hesperus, died on December 12 at 44°S, 45°E and the command of the ship was taken over by the First Mate Mr Munafort.
1900-1907
In command of Captain Charles Maitland late of the same owner’s fullrigged ship Hesperus. Afterwards Capt. Maitland took command of the same owner’s four-masted barque Port Jackson.
1899-1907
Served as sail training ship.
1907 June
Sold to N.A. Lydersen & Co. and partners, Tvedestrand.
1908
Captain O.J. Jobsen.
1909
Captain I. Jobsen.
1912 March 5
Abandoned at sea in position 50°51’N, 12°59’W on voyage from Leith to Coquimbo [Valparaiso] with a cargo of coal. The ship had capsized when the cargo shifted. Other sources say that the cargo caught fire. The crew was picked up by the British steam ship Manchester Mariner and later transferred to the SS Bengore Head.
New Item Alerts

Receive an email when new items are added

Invalid email address
Give it a try. You can unsubscribe at any time.